Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What to do with my Left Eye?

I have decided that it is not too soon to start thinking about what to do with my left eye. I have an optometrist appointment tomorrow. The lens is another Synergize KC which has been adjusted to try and stop it hitting my cornea and/or intact. Hopefully it will work! If not I will ask the optometrist to try and source a clearkone sceleral lens.

I have also made an appointment to see an opthamologist who has access to a femtosecond laser. The appointment is in late March. There has been a lot of discussion in the medical community about the use of a femtosecond laser to cut the donor and recipient cornea. The advantage of using the femtosecond laser is that the donor cornea and recipient eye can be cut so exactly that it fits together like a jigsaw puzzle. The laser can do any pattern and is so accurate that it cuts to within one third of a hair! For Keratoconus some research in the US has found that the zig-zag or mushroom pattern is best. The benefits are that the grafted eye requires fewer stitches, the graft is stronger, heals quicker, has faster visual recover and less astigmatism. However, as with a lot of new things the picture is not clear. Some researchers have found that the trephine (cookie cutter type surgical tool) works best for Keratoconus patients as the Keratoconic eye is an irregular shape such that the cutting of the cornea by the femtosecond laser causes a mismatched recipient/donor interface. I am guessing that it depends on the shape the Keratoconic eye is in which is unique to every case so that is why I booked an assessment with the opthamologist.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting blog!

    My somewhat extensive experience with contacts and keratoconus is that the piggy back option works by far the best. soft (in my case acuvue oasys) over the RGP (boston) lens.

    Synergize and sclerial solutions despite being more expensive were never anywhere near as good. That's may just be me and I did wonder if perhaps I never had a Scleral lens that fitted me well. However you may as well give it a go, if yo already have a RGP lens the only cost is probably the $20 or so for the soft lenses...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't waste your money in treatment, do first proper life insurance plans and get benefited.
    Trauma insurance - Life Insurance Australia

    ReplyDelete